Wednesday, April 27, 2011

influence; aren't we a little old for peer pressure?

Something that I have been thinking about recently is the influence that others can have on our actions.

I have learned that I should not eat birthday cake. This may sound really weird, but it makes me feel awful. I am trying to figure out what it is about really sweet cake that doesn't agree with me, but it literally puts me in an awful mood. The best option for me is to politely decline the cake. Although it's tempting, I resist because it ruins my day. This makes some people feel uncomfortable and a little aggressive towards my decision. "It's a Birthday," they say, "you have to eat the cake!"

I still decline the cake.  What I am working on, though, is strengthening my inner voice.  After all, its not just about the cake.

2 comments:

  1. I don't like birthday cake either! It's usually way too sweet for me. In the rare case I do eat it, first thing I do is scrape the icing off. =)

    If you don't want to eat cake, don't eat it. Simple as that. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha love it Monica! I know it is always so so sweet!

    ReplyDelete